(Redirected from Category:Career)
Articles about a tech career: 8 items
Software Engineer -
Programmer or Engineer? -
People Manager - I've managed a LOT of people over the years (not to mention taught martial arts for a couple of decades). To me, being a good people manager/motivator just isn't that hard:
- Help people prioritize their work and keep on task (with nudges as needed)
- Do a little blocking and bureaucratic bullshit so that they can focus on work. (Know what/how to delegate, and what not to).
- Keep a diverse/balanced team (intellectually), where folks compliment each-others weaknesses, and an environment where they're open to contributing differing views
- Play to people's strengths/interests, give them praise/recognition for what they do well (keep them happy, appreciated and motivated), and help them stretch (challenge them) at a rate that they can tolerate. (Give Credit, share the blame).
- Occasionally, play therapist and listen to their complaints. Sometimes doing nothing (just being a friendly ear for their frustrations), sometimes helping them back on track and focusing on what they can control or can do to make things better.
Management - Everything I know about management can be summed up in this one article. OK, maybe not. I've managed many teams of people over the years, and read quite a bit on the subject before getting my MBA. There are many views on the subject, and many that I disagree with; but rather than heckling others, I'll just spew forth some of my own. None of them are horribly original, but sometimes there's value in sorting the wheat from the chaff.
Is there a tech shortage? -
Hiring Programmers -
Getting a raise -