Politico ran a piece titled, "Trump rallies his base to treat coronavirus as a ‘hoax’". (CNN, MSNBC, leftist polemics and politicians repeated it). This is a bald-faced lie, at a rally Trump called the effort to blame him for COVID a hoax. Even FakeNews Fact Checkers had to admit it.
The facts are:
- The dems are trying to weaponize Coronavirus (and everything else) against Trump, and their water-carriers in the media are going along.
- While Obama took 6 months and over 1,000 American deaths to react to H1N1 (Swing Flu) in 2009 (with the media silent on the slow response), while Trump responded within a couple weeks (despite China's secrecy) and put a travel hold on China immediately, and set up a task force to address it in under a month... and Dems called it “overreacting” and racist. Now they want to revise history and claim Trump didn't respond fast enough by being >6x faster (and with hundreds of times fewer deaths) than Obama.
- Then the Dems and their media (CNN, etc) invented a story that because an Obama era bill to trim the growth in the CDC budget took effect, that Trump had "cut funding". While funding went up, just not by as much as prior years: but there had been MORE of a focus and more budget dollars going towards pandemic response, and Trump offered money for this issue faster. And if the Dems hadn't been so busy trying to impeach Trump, they might have been able to investigate and increase funding that they're blaming on Trump.
- ABC reporter went on to claim that the President is “muzzling” officials (Dr. Fauci) in order to propagate some kind of cover-up -- which Fauci himself called B.S. on ABC, on the spot.
- So naturally, with that hypocrisy, hysteria and disinformation, Trump mentioned at a campaign stop that the attempt to blame his administration for the outbreak is a hoax (not the disease itself). So MSNBC, Politico (Nancy Cook and Matthew Choi) and leftist trolls like Joe Biden, Bill Kristol or Mike Bloomberg spun it that he was calling the disease a hoax. Anyone who repeated this, sets my Bozo bit. Even Facebook and Fact Checkers called bullshit. (No retractions, apologies or corrections from the liars on the left). You get actively dumber (more misinformed) listening to leftist sources like Politico, CNN, MSNBC and ABC News.
- Trump trolled them further by donating his 4th Quarter Salary ($100K) to the HHS to fight Coronavirus.  And of course the moderate left replied that Hitler never took a salary either. Which fallacious, obnoxious, factually wrong, and typical. 
Politico started when left-of-center John F. Harris, and the slightly less left-of-center Jim VandeHei (who left to found Axios in disgust, and penned a FU I'm outta here letter), got funding for a DC tabloid journalism (rumor mongering) on the DC set. Sort of what HuffingtonPost was to Hollywood, but only for DC, if HuffPo had even lower ethical and journalistic standards. The point isn't that I dislike Politico -- its looser quality controls allows for some people to get a voice that they wouldn't have elsewhere. So to me, it's like reddit or twitchy -- sure most articles are full of shit, but they allow both sides turds, and you can find some treasures in the sewage, if you are willing to wade long enough.
While the term goes back 100 years, the history is summed up well in a Sharyl Attkisson TedTalk on FakeNews
. While our media has always had false narratives and bad stories that are Fake News (exampled include: Edward R. Murrow's "See it now" McCarthy'ing Joe McCarthy
(1954), Richard Jewel story
(1996), story about a plane crashing into Camp David after 9/11 (2001), Duke LeCross Rape Case (2014), Michael Brown
and 'hands up, don't shoot' narrative (2014), and so on). We didn't use the term "Fake News", just liberal media bias or incompetence, but it's been around since the first liberal got sloppy or partisan at a newspaper, somewhere back in Roman times.
Then on September 13, 2016 Hillary Clinton supporters Google and Eric Schmidt, used a shell charity (a non-profit called "First Draft,") to start seeding the term to attack right wing websites ("to tackle malicious hoaxes and fake news reports"). Hillary Clinton and her surrogate David Brock of Media Matters admitted in a campaign letter that they pressured Facebook to join the effort. Google warned Conservative websites to remove stories that Google didn't like, or they'd take away their ad revenue. And Barack Obama and the liberal media followed along, regurgitating what they were told: none were going to let this opportunity (to curate what information we could see) go to waste, all in the name of protecting free speech. All coincidentally done at the same time, in what could only be a coordinated campaign attack.
Unfortunately for them, it backfired when people noticed that the mainstream liberal media made more errors and was less honest, and started throwing it back in their face. Fake News applied more to the News, Google, Facebook, Obama and other curators and finger pointers than their victims. Donald Trump used that to hijack the term and use it back against them. The left tried to change the narrative and pretend that Trump had created the term, and they wanted to stop using it and claimed it was a hateful term and an attack on free press to point out the Presses bias or errors. And that's where we are today.
The Coronavirus is named after the fact that under a microscope it looks like the surface of the sun, with lots of little protrusions and bumps. These are series of diseases, but the one everyone is talking about for now, is the Chinese (Wuhan COVID-19 for COrona VIrus Disease circa 2019, or SARS-CoV-2) that's going pandemic. While the CDC, WHO and FDA all blew their response, we've never seen a more effective response to a pandemic, and the U.S. outperformed most of the world in objective metrics. But as to be expected, partisan Democrats and their media never let an opportunity go to waste: to politicize, polarize, divide and undermine the American economy and people.