The media has been generating a landslide of FakeNews around COVID (SARS-CoV-2). Some of these are fabrications, most are more lies of exaggeration or omission (removing context). If you need evidence that the Media is against Americans and willing to sacrifice lives, or lie for ratings, this catastrophe alone will separate the informed from the media believers, examples include: COVID Anti-Asian • COVID is a hoax • COVID Models • COVID WHO • Lysolgate • Polarizing the shutdown •
COVID-FakeNews : 6 items
COVID Anti-Asian - China pressured the Press to stop calling it the Wuhan or China virus, and after 4 months of using the term, around mid March the far-left outlets all complied. Donald Trump at first refused to because he wanted to shame China for what they'd foisted on the world and it would help apply pressure against China in further negotiations. So the leftist media started revising history and pretending that the term was made up by Trump, and sensationalizing Asian hate crimes, pretending that any increase in racist attacks against Asians were Trump and his supporters fault. Trump had denounced any attacks against Asians (the Press ignored that), a few of the crimes turned out to be hoaxes and most couldn't be verified (the Press ignored that), there was little evidence that attacks were up materially... and eventually Trump toned down the anti-China rhetoric. While there's no evidence that the attacks had actually increased (or diminished when Trump stopped using the terms), since the Press had censored the truth for their CCP allies, and undermined the U.S. interests, they let the story drop.
COVID Models - There were models to teach us what we had to worry about with the Pandemic.
- 2020.03.13 NYT had their model which predicted 9.4M infections at peak (100M overall), and 1M dead and 366K ICU cases. That was with Social Distancing, cancelling large events and work from home. Based on what actually happened, that was pure fear mongering.
- 2020.03.17 Imperial College of London Covid-19 Response Team (Dr. Neil M. Ferguson) claimed even with Social Distancing & Quarantine, best case we would see 1.1 Million dead and Hospitals overwhelmed in America and worst case was 2.2 Million dead. FakeNews like The Intercept, NYT and CNN was hyping that.
- 2020.03.14 The CHIME model (Penn Medicines: COVID-19 Hospital Impact Model for Epidemics), was for modeling individual Hospitals and regions, and later turned out to way over-estimate the demands. But the media was more focused on national rather than regional modeling, so it didn't get as much attention unless sensationalizing the local impact of the crisis.
- 2020.03.26 The UW IHME (University of Washington, Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation), estimated 93K (39-177K) deaths, they dropped this to 82K (49-136K) on 04.07, and kept revising the numbers over time. While their initial projections in death rate were inflated, they were off by more on their Hospitalization and ICU beds (peak demand of 40,646 ICU beds, and a bed shortage of 23K ICU beds). They halved those projections over the next weeks, but were still off by 5-10x actual requirements. Regionally they were often worse.
- 2020.03.29 Donald Trump said the death projections were between 100-200K, but we expected to get that down with the latest measures and upcoming treatments and the media was aghast. MSNBC (Chris Hayes) and others accused the President of lying or sandbagging (inflating numbers). But people called them on it, and pointed out it was Fauci, the task forces numbers based on the IMHE model, so that was shut down pretty quickly.
COVID WHO -
- 2019.12.31 Taiwan warns WHO of atypical pneumonia spreading in Wuhan that Wuhan authorities believed "it was not SARS", WHO not only ignored it, they suppressed the information from later reports that they were warned/asked to investigate.
- 2020.01.14 WHO tweeted, "no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel #coronavirus (2019-nCoV)".
- 2020.01.29 WHO tells us not to wear masks during COVID outbreak.
- 2020.02.15 WHO's chief Tedros was telling the world, China has contained it, bought us time and is doing great... it already had person to person spread in the U.S., and China's numbers were frauds.
- 2020.03.03 Since Dec, they've repeated that the death rate of COVID is 3.4%, which the R0 (contagion) and it's less stealth and requires a different response than a disease that is spreading wider (but the death rate is lower). The facts are the R0 is likely double what the we thought and the death rate is <0.3% or 1/10th what the WHO claimed: these require radically different responses.
- 2020.04.14 WHO says that people shouldn't be allowed to Drink Alcohol during COVID lockdown as it, "exacerbate health vulnerability, risk-taking behaviours, mental health issues and violence".
- 2020.04.25 WHO scares people with misleading tweet that no evidence that people who have recovered from #COVID19 have any immunity. This is false as plasma (antibody) therapy was helping, as well as would mean we couldn't vaccinate anyone. FakeNews like Bloomberg was repeating it. So WHO deleted it and later offered an update correcting it.
COVID is a hoax - Politico ran a piece titled, "Trump rallies his base to treat coronavirus as a ‘hoax’". (CNN, MSNBC, leftist polemics and politicians repeated it). This is a bald-faced lie, at a rally Trump called the effort to blame him for COVID a hoax. Even FakeNews Fact Checkers had to admit it.
- The idea of using UV light or disinfectants in the body is the basis for much of medicine like Chemotherapy, blood scrubbing, and UV blood treatment was studied for SARS.
- As Scott Adams put it, how stupid do you have to be to (a) not know that (b) think the President suggested people go out and mainline Lysol, like they reported? Or run with a story before asking what he meant, and so on.
- They started piling FakeNews on top of this FakeNews, by pretending that there was a spike in poisonings because of this statement. Yes, poisonings were up year-over-year, but not week-over-week or day-over-day. Ever since the lockdown, poisonings had been up. Which is a statement against the lockdown, but the Press screwed that angle up (by not noticing or mentioning it).
Polarizing the shutdown - The left believes in (a) making rules is the same as convincing people to follow them (b) destroying the economy and blaming Trump for it. So naturally, they want the shutdown to go on as long as possible, and are furious when people disagree. In a diverse society, you're going to get a diversity of followers. And the collectivists want to guilt, shame, attack and henpeck those not following what they want, to get them in line. If they have to exaggerate what's happening to guilt them or feel morally superior, they will do so. (Lies of omission, commission or exaggeration all allowed). And thus you get FakeNews reports that misrepresented what happened in Newport Beach, and a leftist governor (Newsom) that used it as an opportunity to show his authority -- which caused lawsuits and protests. Good job Newsom.